The SAAO is exploring a diverse range of topics in extragalactic astronomy, including studies of:
- luminous and ultraluminous infrared galaxies and interacting galaxies in the local universe,
- nearby lenticular galaxies,
- cosmology using supernovae in distant galaxies,
- galaxies in clusters and the effects of their environment,
- galaxy mergers and galaxies in close pairs,
- the changes in galaxy populations out to high redshifts.
For a more detailed description of our interests, see our Members pages.
Questions or comments? Please contact: abiy at saao.ac.za/ ros at saao.ac.za