Soon after the English occupation of the Cape in 1795, the Dutch guns were removed from Imoff Battery at the Castle and replaced by the latest English 18 pounders. A time signal has been fired by one of these guns since 1806.
Since the advent of the "galvanic telegraph" it became possible to trigger a gun remotely and since 1864 the noon gun has been accurately fired from the master clock of the oldest timekeeper in the country, the South African Astronomical Observatory as it is still being fired today. As Cape Town developed and grew, the noise of the gun became too loud and violent for the city centre and the guns were moved up to signal hill's Lion Battery from where they are still fired today. The first signal fired from here was on the 4th of August 1902. These same guns are still in use today and is Cape Town's oldest living tradition; the 2 guns used are the oldest guns in daily use in the world.
Click here for more information and see the gun firing.
to Willie's Gallery